15 Jul 2011

CHICKPEA HUMMUS

Looking for a quick dish to bring to a party, make for a snack or have for guest.  This is your dish! I make this usually with Chickpeas (aka Garbonzo beans), but it can be made with black beans, white beans or just about any bean you might like.  This recipe is the traditional Greek or mediterranean  hummus, with a little bit of my own twist.  My own twist usually consists of me substituting what I have in the house.  This recipe usually calls for Tahini (sesame butter), but I was out.  So I used sesame seeds and sesame oil.  If you have it great, buy it if you want or substitute.

Basic Hummus recipe
1 can of Chickpeas (rinsed or with some of the liquid is fine)
1/4 cup of sesame seeds (or Tahini)
1/4 cup of sesame oil or olive oil if you don't have sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic
juice from one medium lemon or more (about 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon of sea salt or seasoned salt like garlic salt, lemon pepper, or taco seasoning salt (I use McCormicks because it has no MSG & is tasty on everything)
1 teaspoon of pepper
Put all the above ingredients in a blender to puree on high.  Then voila you have a healthy dip.  I also like to make a mexican black beans dip; add a lime, cilantro, salsa, garlic, cumin, tomatoes or sour cream.  I have also made italian white beans; added sundered tomatoes and artichoke hearts, capers or olives with garlic.  Experiment with what you like! Any version is a great dip with cracker, chips, veggies or spread on a sandwich. My husband likes to top on his salads instead of dressing.  So simple!

No comments: